No issue is more important to furthering health justice in Florida than expanding Medicaid coverage under the ACA. Florida is one of only 14 states still refusing federal funding to cover low-income uninsured adults. As a result, we’re leaving about half a million Floridians with no path to affordable coverage. For more information on the background and impact of Medicaid expansion, click here.
Read more about our work on Medicaid expansion:
- FHJP created Florida Health Justice STORIES, a collection of narratives from people struggling to access affordable healthcare. These stories and the storytellers are critical to educating policymakers and the public about the impact of health injustices on individuals, families and communities.
- In recognition of Medicaid's 54th anniversary, Florida Health Justice Project's Executive Director, Miriam Harmatz, wrote an op-ed in the Miami Herald highlighting Medicaid's unfinished promise.
- FHJP developed a video explaining Florida's health care coverage gap and the need for Medicaid expansion. Watch the video below or on Youtube.
- Researching LGBT health care issues, identifying challenges unique to Florida, and evaluating how expansion of Medicaid in Florida will benefit LGBT individuals in the state. Read more...
- FHJP collaborates with local, state and national partners to advance Medicaid expansion advocacy. Read more...
Articles and Reports
- Medicaid Expansion in Florida: Budget Buster or Deal of the Century, The Commonwealth Fund, 9/30/19
- Study: the US could have adverted about 15,600 deaths if every state expanded Medicaid, Vox, 7/23/19
- Explaining Texas v. U.S.: A Guide to the 5th Circuit Appeal in the Case Challenging the ACA, Kaiser Family Foundation, 7/3/19