No issue is more important to furthering health justice in Florida than expanding Medicaid coverage under the ACA. Florida is one of only 14 states still refusing federal funding to cover low-income uninsured adults. As a result, we’re leaving about half a million Floridians with no path to affordable coverage. For more information on the background and impact, click here.
Among other things, we’re:
- Creating Florida Health Justice STORIES, a collection of narratives from people struggling to access affordable healthcare. These stories and the storytellers are critical to educating policymakers and the public about the impact of health injustices on individuals, families and communities.
- For the 54th birthday of Medicaid, Miriam wrote an op-ed in the Miami Herald about the need for affordable health care in Florida.
- Developing media to help explain Florida's health care coverage gap and the need for Medicaid expansion. Watch the video below or on Youtube.
- Researching LGBT health care issues, identifying challenges unique to Florida, and evaluating how expansion of Medicaid in Florida will benefit LGBT individuals in the state. Read more...
- Collaborating with current state partners in moving the advocacy forward and reaching out to new partners, including those working on global health justice. Read more...